The Course presents the key aspects of the international protection of refugees. The topics covered range from the analysis of International Refugee Law and its complementarity with other bodies of law to the different displacement phases.
The causes that force people to flee, the protection risks encountered through the displacement cycle, and the search and implementation of durable and sustainable solutions are also examined. Additional refugee-related issues are further analysed through a cross-cutting approach, such as gender-based violence and the protection of internally displaced and stateless people. The Course is conducted in light of the developments generated by the Global Compact on Refugees.
- Promote law, principles and policies related to the international protection of refugees.
- Develop a common understanding among participants on how legislation and policies can be promoted and implemented at the national level by a variety of stakeholders.
- Raise awareness on the human rights issues faced by refugees and the need for durable solutions.
- Enhance the skills of participants in developing and applying policies and standards in conformity with International Law.
- Encourage a positive attitude among participants towards the protection of refugees and other uprooted people.
Application Deadline, Scholarship Opportunities, and Official Certificates
Candidates are invited to register to the Course by 13 September 2021. A limited number of scholarships is available for the Online Course and cannot therefore be guaranteed purely by application. Scholarships will depend upon funds available to the Institute thanks to the kind contribution of our donors. To apply for a scholarship, you must detail so in the dedicated field in the Registration Form.
Please note that the official Certificate of completion will be awarded only to who attends the Course in full, including participation in live and self-paced sessions, and completion of assignments.
The Course is developed primarily to benefit senior and mid-level government officials involved in the formulation and application of legislation and policies affecting people in need of protection. Members of the civil society and the academia, who could positively influence the safeguard of refugees’ rights and advocate for the protection of uprooted and stateless persons, are also accepted as participants.
It is important for participants to have a very good knowledge of the language of the Course, in order to be able to consult background materials, attend lessons, and participate in group works and discussions (no simultaneous translation is available).
Structure and Methodology
The Online Course is structured into four content-related modules, with the objective to provide an in-depth analysis of the subject of the training, including cross-cutting issues. Modules are composed by live sessions and self-paced sessions;
- Live sessions are pre-scheduled and usually last between 90 and 120 minutes. These are delivered via Zoom for Education.
- Self-paced sessions are completed at participants’ own pace, and must be undertaken before the beginning of each following class. These usually consist in pre-recorded videos and/or selected reference materials.
The Course strikes a balance between theory and practice and is delivered through a participatory and creative teaching methodology, aimed at facilitating the learning process and implementing the knowledge gained throughout the training. Sessions include lectures, presentations, case studies, group work, audio-visual support, and other activities, which respond to the various learning styles of a diversified audience.
Throughout the training, participants and expert facilitators are able to share best practices and experiences regarding the main topics and issues of the Course. Speakers delivering the sessions consist of United Nations Officials and other experts on refugee protection from around the world.
Participation quota amounts to € 750. It must be remitted before the start of the Course by bank transfer. Visa and/or Mastercard are also accepted on the website of the Institute.
Queries on the Course registration and administrative questions should be directed to email@example.com.